Because each child in my room has their own IEP, goals, and areas of weakness, I do not have set expectations for each child, other than they try their best and continue to learn independence.
I do however, have expectations for the students and staff that work with the students in my classroom. I expect each child to be treated fairly. This means keeping in mind that fair is not equal and equal is not fair. Sometimes the children I work with need a little extra time, encouragement or materials in order to be successful. I find this is hardest in Kindergarten and 1st grade.
I also expect that students and staff show patience and kindness to my students. Many times, the choices my students make and the behaviors they demonstrate directly relate to their disability. Though it is difficult, I try to focus on the behavior or choice that was made as this is the area of weakness that should be addressed. This is a challenging expectation, even for myself, especially when you are in the moment with the student.
I also expect that we all work on developing each child's ability to be independent. I try to focus on what each student can do rather than what they cannot. This helps each child feel successful each day.
I am so thankful for the general education teachers at Two Springs as well as the other special education support staff. Without their support, all my expectations would be thrown out the window.
I agree with everything you wrote. I have many of the same issues with all of the students attending general education classes most of the day. I have seen very good results with my students being in general education classes. I admire their willingness to work hard and their desire to fit in.
ReplyDeleteYou do such a great job in your classroom. Setting classroom expectations would be very difficult in your situation.
ReplyDelete